Mels

Apollyon
Jennifer L. Armentrout

Unteachable - Leah Raeder

Unteachable - Leah Raeder

I guess I'm trying to say what i couldn't say that night. You can call it love, or you can call it freefall. They're pretty much the same thing. And I love you.

I'm not sure how to put into words my feelings for this book.Unteachable was an intense, touching and shattering read. On paper, it might look like just another student-teacher romance, but it's much more than that, and it's the most well-done and well-written novel I've ever read about this subject. It's raw, and passionate, and it doesn't tell you lies.

I can't hold on to you. You're like that shooting star. Just a trail of fire in my hands.

Maise O'Malley is an 18-year-old girl, who lives with her drug-addicted mother and has always had a troubled life. At the beginning of the book she is a cynical and cocky girl, who is well aware of her good looks and uses them to seduce older men. She is uninhibited and runs from any kind of emotional connection with other people, but her bravado is just her way to face the world, after all the shit she's been put through. She doesn't want people to abandon her, so she is the one who leaves them before they can. And while she tells us her story we learn about her insecurities and fears and we see how she tries to open her heart to someone for the first time.

I see the lights every night. It seems like the whole world has figured out how to be happy, but no one's letting me in on the secret.

Evan Wilke is a man with many dreams that he can't or doesn't have the courage to chase because of the mistakes he committed in his past. He has his own insecurities and ghosts and although he is the teacher, I feel like he was the one who learned the most from his relationship with Maise.

If I hadn't gone to the carnival, you would've looked at me like any other student when I walked into your class. And that made my heart ache, too - the thought of how much happiness lay scattered across the universe, unrealized, in fragments, waiting for the right twist of fate to bring it together.

I'm not gonna lie, there are some clichés, but this is not the typical corny romance. Maise and Evan don't fall in love at first sight. They instantly feel a physical attraction and for a long time their relationship is purely sexual, but it slowly develops into something more intimate and, eventually, into love. And it's not a love full of sweet words and rainbows; it's fucked up, exactly like they are.They don't lie to themselves, and they know that a big part of what they're feeling for each other has to do with the fact that what they're doing is forbidden, and they're afraid of what will happen to them once it won't be anymore. Is there more to their relationship than the thrill of being discovered? Maise learns how to face her fears and what she wants in life even if it means saying goodbye to the man she loves, and at the sime time she teaches Evan how to be brave and have the courage to restart his life.

This is what being in love feels like, Wesley. Gratitude. Gratitude that you exist in this fucked up, beautiful universe.

Leah Raeder has a beautiful writing style, poetic and engaging, and I wish I could quote the whole book; there are many sex scenes, but they never feel gratuitous or excessive, because everytime Evan and Maise touch, they learn something more about the other, and about themselves.Unteachable is a powerful book, who portrays the teacher-student relationship in a realistic, honest way.So read it, and enjoy this amazing roller coaster ride.